Department of Prasutitantra & Streeroga deals with Gynecology & Obstetrics in the field of Ayurveda. The department specialises in the maintenance of normal physical and mental health in all epochs of womens life. The department aims at providing specific treatment for following diseases:
Infertility,Uterine fibroids,Uterine prolapse, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, PCOS,Irregular menstruation,Vaginal discharges,Excessive bleeding,Pain during menstruation,Menopausal disorders.
In the area of obstetrics, Department deals with providing:
Pre conceptional care,Ante natal care and Post natal care.
Department also specialises in the treatment of specific problems related to pregnancy and delivery after care including reduced growth rate, reduced breast milk after delivery etc.
The department started functioning from the very beginning of the college but being combined as Department of Prasuthi tantra and Koumarabhruthya. In the year 2000, the department started functioning independently as Department of Prasuthitantra. The deparment has three permanent posts - Professor - 1, Associate professor - 1, Assistant professor - 1.
The department has an out patient (OP) unit. O.P has an attachéd examination room where ante natal and gynecological examinations are done. The department has a bed strength 15 in the hospital. Minor procedure room is available in the hospital. Facilities are available in this room for doing procedures like yoni kshalana, Kshara Karma , Lower Abdominal Pichu, Vulval pichu, Yoni dhara, Yoni pichu, Yonipooranam, Pessary insertion etc.Theatre facility is available to do utharavasthy.
Department had a library containing of 52 books - both Ayurveda and modern.
The department has an out patient (OP) unit on all days except Sunday from 8AM- 1PM. Ante natal and gynecological examinations and minor procedures are routinely done for OP patients. IP patients also undergo minor procedures and Uttaravasthy is also done on IP basis in the theatre room in the hospital block.
The department also organises following programmes :
1. The Janany Garbharaksha programme was started since 2001 and was inaugurated on 31/03/2001 at Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College Hospital, Poochunnippadam in
association with Vallachira gramapanchayath.
2. Conducted antenatal camp associated with cherpu block panchayath and 172 pregnant ladies participated in the camp.
3. In 2003 Thrissur district Panchayath project Samagra mathrusisu samrakshanapaddhathy was conducted by assistance or human resourses from Vaidyratnam Ayurveda
College at Kodakara block panchatyath for one year. Camp conducted at 7 different panchayaths and 648 pregnant ladies participated in the camp.
4. Conducted Janani Kerala vikasanapaddhathi in association with Thrissur jilla panchayath on 21/07/2004 .
5. Conducted Antenatal care project under Mahilasamakhya at Kizhuvilam gramapanchayath, Chirayinkeezhu during the year 2008- 2009.
6. Conducted two days workshop about antenatal care for doctors working in different dispensaries in the corporation area in 2006
7. Conducted 15days workshop for Asha workers about Soothikaparicharanam in 2006.
8. After 5years of antenatal programmes, department had conducted Mathrusisusamgamam of Janany mothers and children on 02/04/2006 .
9. After 10years again department conducted Mathrusisusamgamam of Janany mothers and children on 16/12/2011 .
10. In 2013 – 2014 antenatal camp was conducted at an anganavadi in the cherpu block panchayath . It was conducted every Friday each month for 12months.
11. Antenatal examination and camp was conducted at Attappadi on 15/02/2014 and 16/02/2014.
12. Third Janani Mathrusisusamgamam was conducted on 06/03/2017 at Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College.
13. Free medical camp and awareness programme on world breast feeding day : 10th -15th may 2013. Around 30 women including pregnant and feeding mothers attended the
camp every day.
14. Awareness programme on menstruation and its disorders was conducted at St. Mary’s Girl’s high school , Ollur on 31/10/2013 as a part of health programme.
15. Medical camp on Gynecological diseases, examination and management including surgical procedures was conducted from 17/02/2014.
16. Awareness programme on menstruation and its disorders especially PCOS was conducted at St. Mary’s Girl’s higher secondary school , Ollur in 2018. Screening for
menstrual disorders was done by giving questionnaire to the students.
17. Awareness programme on menstruation and its disorders especially PCOS was conducted at St. Joseph’s women’s College in 04/9/2018. Medical camp was also conducted
on the same day.
18. Awareness programme on menstruation and its disorders especially PCOS was conducted at CNN higher secondary school , Cherpu on 13/6/2019. Screening for menstrual
disorders was done by giving questionnaire to the students.
19. Ritu 2019(1st session) an awareness class for students of CNN GHS School cherpu & santhibhavan Vidynikethan School, Thaikkaattussery was conducted regarding
menstruation & its abnormalities menstrual hygiene, yoga & pathya & apathy in adolescent girls on 24/09/19
20. Second session of Ritu-2019 was conducted on 21.10.2019 for students of PVS GHS Parappukkara.
21. Special OP was started on 09/12/19 for PCOS and other related menstrual irregularities and Uterine Prolapse on all mondays and thursdays. Free medicine was given to the
patients for a period of one week.
22. An awareness class was conducted on the topic Menstruation, Menstrual Hygiene and Importance of diet & yoga during menstruation at Deepthi High School, Thalore on
07/02/20.It was conducted in association with Ardram Peoples Campaign.
23. An awareness class was conducted on the topic Menstruation and its irregularities at Anganwadi, Thaikkattussery on 27/02/20 . It was conducted in association with
Ardram Peoples Campaign.
24. Webinars were conducted by the depatment starting from July 2020 on various topics.
25. A series of online awareness classes were conducted at Sri C Achutha Menon Govt College, Kuttanellur from Aug 2020 to May 2021 on the topics - Menstruation , Menstrual
Hygeine, PCOS and Yoga.
26. An online awareness class was conducted on the topic Menstruation, Menstrual Hygeine and PCOS at St Josephs College, Irinjalakuda on 17/09/2020.
27. An online awareness class was conducted on the topic Menstruation and its irregularities at PVS GHS Parappukkara on 26/11/2020.
28. Special OP was started on 01/02/2021 for Slaishmiki and Viplutha on all mondays and thursdays.
29. Awareness class on "Strinavishkarathinte bhavatmaka saadhyatakal " in association with Womens day on 08/03/2021.
30. Awareness class and Medical camp was organised at Anganwadi Urakkam on 12/04/2021 in association with National Safe Motherhood Day.
31. Distribution of leaflets to create awreness regarding osteoporosis associated with Menopausal changes in association with National Osteoporosis month in May 2021.
32. A webinar on Menstrual irregularities and Menstrual Hygeine in association with Menstrual Hygeine Day at Farook College Kottakkal on 12/06/2021.
33. Inaguration of "Matruraksha" Project - distribution of medicines for females preparing for pregnancy was done on 14/06/2021 Prasuthitantra OPD.
34. Pushpita - a series of online awareness classes in association with PCOS Awareness month and in coordination with "Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav" at various schools and
© 2021 Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College. All rights reserved.